We are a grass-roots group with a passion to promote true diversity. Our mission is to lead the congregation in creating a welcoming and fully inclusive religious community. We seek to further understanding and acceptance and to build open, honest, and equitable relationships across differences. Our efforts focus on educating and motivating people to engage in combating institutional racism and LGBTQ oppression, and also include other areas of diversity such as age and class.
We present monthly “Together Sunday” programs –- film discussions, speakers, workshops -- to educate and inspire action on multicultural issues. These are typically held on the 4th Sundays of the month in the Chalice House following the service from 12:30 – 2:30 PM (or 11 AM - 1 PM during the months of June, July and August -- and include a light lunch (donations are welcomed)).
In addition, the “Together” team:
- facilitates congregational conversations following worship services on diversity topics
- promotes actions to promote advocacy and witness on diversity issues -- e.g. Million Moms March, rally for police accountability
- reviews, prioritizes, and shares information from outside our congregation about opportunities to learn and act
- maintains thought-provoking displays relating to multiculturalism throughout the building
- provides support for other multicultural events at Cedar Lane – e.g. reception at Diwali celebration, lunches for people of color gatherings
- organizes church collections for related causes – e.g. rebuilding the burned churches in the south
- acts as the specific point of contact to provide information about the movement for Black Lives and promotes actions in support of Black Lives Matter.
Join our meetings:
The current "Together" leaders are Marge Dimond and Ariel Mora. The “Together” planning team typically meets on the 4th Monday of the month (7 – 9 PM in the library) and welcomes your input.
For more information contact TogetherLeads@googlegroups.com. The best way to be kept informed is to be added to our listserv (use the above email to request adding or dropping your email address from the distribution). You can also watch for announcements in the weekly Cedar Lane eNews and on the Social Justice calendar. Email Rosemary McCutchen, email@example.com, to get on this list to receive this calendar.