BLOG: VOICES FROM CEDAR LANE
Cedar Lane’s Worship Associate (WA) program promotes shared ministry by providing opportunities for lay people to play leadership roles in our Sunday morning worship services. Our ministers involve Worship Associates in a variety of ways, including: delivering the call to worship, offering the chalice lighting words, sharing community joys and sorrows, and voicing a reading selected for our communal worship. WAs may be asked to offer a short personal reflection or give a brief homily.
The WA program works collaboratively with ministers and staff, designing and presenting meaningful opportunities to explore the eternal, nurture community, and build a more just world.
The WA program annually seeks three new members to replace retiring members.
We are looking for the following qualities:
- Flexibility and a commitment to working in a collaborative relationship with the ministers and guest speakers
- Desire to help plan and participate in leading quality worship services
- Willingness to speak before groups and grow in worship leadership “presence”
- Active commitment to the Cedar Lane Unitarian Universalist Church community
Responsibilities of a Worship Associate:
- Agree to serve for a three year period, four to six Sundays per year, starting September 2020;
- Attend annual training led by Rev. Janamanchi on a date to be determined;
- Attend bimonthly meetings to evaluate worship at our congregation and to increase skill and comfort with the WA role;
- Email or meet with the minister prior to serving as WA for a particular service to plan the WA role during that service;
- Attend Sunday services regularly to observe and learn from the examples of others; and
- Assist in recruiting speakers and coordinating the Order of Celebration for summer services.
The Worship Associate team aspires to reflect the diversity of the world we live in. Members of all ages, races, genders, and sexual orientations are encouraged to apply.
Guidelines for Your Statement of Interest in Becoming a Worship Associate
We want to get to know you, but your statement does not need to be lengthy. A few sentences in response to each question are enough. Please include contact information and communication preferences (preferred telephone number & email address).
- What draws you to the role of Worship Associate and what can you imagine the experience might bring you?
- How long have you attended UU services and where have you found meaningful worship experiences?
- What skills, talents, experience or special knowledge will you share with the worshipping community (e.g. public speaking, storytelling, drama, writing)?
- Please briefly describe your religious and spiritual journey to this point in your life. How did you arrive at Cedar Lane and how familiar are you with the history and traditions of Unitarian Universalism and this congregation?
- What would be your greatest challenge in serving as a WA (e.g. time commitment, public speaking)?
- Please share anything else that you would like us to understand about you as we consider your statement of interest.